Community Resources

FC-18 Information
Getting a copy of your birth certificate
Legal Aid of WV Program
WV Help Me Grow Program

FC-18 Information

Download a PDF of FC-18 Information

What is the FC-18? The FC-18 is a contract between you and the Department of Health and Human Resources. It means that the Department will continue to provide financial assistance to you or your placement in exchange for working towards independence.

Does the FC-18 mean I am back in custody? No. As you are 18 and now an adult, the rules are different. You will continue to have a worker but should be afforded the freedoms of an adult. However, you will still need to respect your placement’s rules.

Is the FC-18 voluntary? Yes. You can terminate it at any time and the Department can terminate it if you are incarcerated or fail to work towards independence.

When can I sign the FC-18? You can sign the FC-18 before your 18th birthday or any time up to the age of 20. The FC-18 can never be extended beyond the 21st birthday.

What about medical coverage? Medical coverage is available to former foster youth through the Affordable Care Act but it is different from the FC-18 medical coverage. ACA coverage might have co-pays and deductibles and the FC-18 medical card will not.

What else do I need to know?

Take advantage of the support the FC-18 offers you. It is rough out there and being in placement or the MODIFY program is a lot better than being homeless.

Getting a copy of your birth certificate

Download a PDF of the Birth Certificate Information

Who can obtain a WV birth certificate?

  • The person on the certificate
  • Parents or Grandparents
  • Wife or Husband
  • Children and Grandchildren
  • Brothers and Sisters
  • Anyone who has a legal interest in the certificate

What do you need to obtain a WV birth certificate?

  • Proper Identification
  • Proper Fee
  • Proper Information

Proper identification consists of:

Any one of the following:

  • State driver’s license (can be expired)
  • U.S. or foreign passport
  • Military ID
  • Photo ID from government sponsored program


Any two of the following:

  • Major credit card
  • Motor vehicle registration card
  • State social services program card
  • A recent utility bill in the name of the person requesting the certificate

Proper fee:

  • $12 paid in person. Payment must be in the form of cash, check or money order (NO credit or debit card). This is the fastest way.
  • $12 paid by mail. Payment must be in the form of a check or money order. This is the slowest method.

Proper information:

  • Name as it appears on the certificate
  • Date of birth
  • Mother’s full maiden name and the Father’s full name
  • City and county of birth

Where do I get a WV birth certificate?

Department of Health and Human Resources, Vital Statistics Office 350 Capitol Street
Charleston, WV 25301
Enter the lobby and Vital Statistics is on the right

By mail:
Fill out an application and mail it with a check or money order to:
Vital Registration
Room 165
350 Capitol Street
Charleston, WV 25301

Where do I get an out of state birth certificate?

Follow this link for more information on ordering:

Download a PDF of the Legal Aid of WV Program Information

What does Legal Aid of WV provide? Legal information, advice, referrals or representation, if you are eligible.

How can I be eligible for services from Legal Aid of WV? You are eligible for services if you have a low or limited income or if you are a victim of domestic violence.

What kinds of cases do they take? They handle cases that have to do with the following issues:

  • Domestic violence and protective order
  • Divorce/child custody/child support
  • Bankruptcy/credit problems
  • Housing
  • Government benefits (SNAP, Medicaid, Social Security)
  • Tax problems
  • Veteran's issues

They do not handle criminal law, accidents, personal injury cases or class action lawsuits

How do I get services? Apply online or by phone 866-255-4370

What else do I need to know? If you have a hearing within 10 days, be sure to apply by phone.

WV Help Me Grow Program

Download a PDF of Help Me Grow Information

What is Help Me Grow?

Connects families to local resources.

  • Free referral service that connects families with developmental resources for children age birth through five years old.
  • Identifies children at risk and directs them to the help they need.
  • Referral line for parents to community resources.

What services do they offer?

  • Evaluate your child’s developmental progress.
  • Help you decide which referrals are best for your family.
  • Connect you to services that are appropriate and available.

Who can make referrals?

  • Families
  • Healthcare providers
  • Service providers

How do I Contact Help Me Grow?
(800) 642-8522